Thursday, January 26, 2012

Just outside, not more than a stones throw away from where I gaze out from the place where I paint, some people call a studio, and I call a room that takes on the appearance of a studio, .. lies these hills.
They constantly change in light and color with the seasons and are more revealed in the winter months. I have done a number of paintings from this exact vantage point many times now, and you have probably noticed a similarity in subject matter if you have been following my paintings. That is because they are. The subject is the same, only the lighting and the seasons change. How convenient for me. These hills and mountains pose permanently for my canvas.
This one in particular I especially like, because I incorporated a stressed surface resulting in a texture that adds an extra interest to the overall work. Its simply called Winter Landscape. Its on a 16x20 stretched canvas and has a light coat of varnish over it. Sometimes, the subjects for an artist are no further away than the back door.
You can find this original piece listed for sale on my Etsy gallery page . russpotak.etsy.com
I'll try to post some other paintings from this location soon, so you can see and compare the way I handled the subjects.

1 comment:

  1. I love this peaceful work. The texture you added is such a plus.

    ReplyDelete